Long Term Care Disaster Planning Resources
Regulations and Waivers
- Katrina HIPAA Privacy and Disclosures in Emergency Situations
- Authority To Waive Requirements During National Emergencies
- 1135-Waiver for New York during Hurricane Sandy
- CMS Emergency Preparedness Guide for State Survey Agencies, Health Care Providers and Partners
- CMS Provider Survey and Certification for Declared Public Health Emergencies FAQ
- Additional Emergency and Disaster Related Policies and Procedures With a 1135
Developing Emergency Plans for Your Facility
- Alzheimer’s Association. 2007. Disaster Preparedness Topic Sheet.
- American Red Cross. Primary Business Continuity Planning Template.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Healthy Aging Program. Disaster Planning Tips for Older Adults and Their Families.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Survey and Certification Group: website for developing robust emergency plans and responses
- Florida Healthcare Association, Florida Center for Assisted Living. 2006. Disaster Preparedness Guide for Assisted Living Facilities.
- Disaster Preparedness Plan: Template for Use in Long Term Care Facilities.
- Disaster Preparedness Guidelines for Employees.
- Defining Emergency Operations -Basic Plan Elements Modified for Nursing Homes from FEMA Guide
- Influx Surge Guideline 2013 – Draft from Massachusetts
- Emergency Preparedness Planning.- Vermont
- Ethical Guidelines for the Development of Emergency Plans AHCA
- Region 1 LTC Disaster Codes
- Activation of Communications Pathway Algorithms for Long Term Care Facilities in Michigan
- Meds Transfer Form
- Room Check Log for Shelter in Place Incident
Evacuation Planning Tools & Checklists
- California Association of Health Facilities, Disaster Preparedness Program. Long Term Care Facility Evacuation Resident Assessment Form for Transport and Destination
- California Association of Health Facilities, Disaster Preparedness Program. Long Term Care Facility Evacuation: Planning Considerations
- Florida Health Care Education and Development Foundation. 2008. National Criteria for Evacuation Decision-Making in Nursing Homes. John A. Hartford Foundation
- National Fire Protection Association. 2007. Emergency Evacuation Planning Guide for People with Disabilities.
- Evacuation Procedures for Any Disaster
- Long Term Care Facility Evacuation Checklist
- Evacuation and Shelter-in-Place Procedures
- LTC Facility Evacuation Considerations – from California
- Minimum Level of Evacuation Equipment
- Evacuation and Shelter in Place Procedures Template – Dane County
- Evacuation Checklist – Dane County
- Shelter in Place Checklist – Dane County
- Sample Policy on the Evacuation of Healthcare Facilities – Wisconsin
- LTC Facility Evacuation Considerations – California
- AHRQ Disaster Alternate Care Facilities: Selection & Operations
- Alternate Care Site Evacuation Tool
Other tools and links
- Example of Evacuation Drill
- Toolkit for Emergency Preparedness
- Evacuation Decision information
- Example Evacuation Plan
- Promoting Emotional Health: A Toolkit for Senior Living Communities. This toolkit uses a comprehensive framework to implement efficient behavioral and emotional health in senior living communities. Toolkit for Senior Living Communities
- Long- Term Care and Other Residential Facilities Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist. This checklist can be adapted by behavioral health residential facilities to help develop a plan while experiencing trauma. Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist